Positioning in Each Business Domain
No.5 among non-life insurance groups in the world
Domestic Non-Life Insurance Business
The insurance group most chosen by customers in Japan
No. 1 Share
No. 1 share in all lines of business in Japan
Sources: Prepared by MS&AD based on publicly announced information from each insurance company and data from the General Insurance Association of Japan.
* MS&AD figures are simple sums of figures for MSI, ADI, Mitsui Direct General, and au Insurance Company
* Figures for other insurance groups are simple sums of non-consolidated figures for domestic companies in each group.
* Figures are presented exclusive of the Good Results Return premiums of Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance’s proprietary “ModoRich” automobile insurance product, which contains a special clause for premium adjustment and refund at maturity (same hereinafter).
Underwriting profit (prior to reflecting catastrophe reserves) *
Source: Prepared by MS&AD based on the publicly announced information from each company
* Figures for MS&AD are the simple sum of the non-consolidated figures for MSI and ADI; For the other hands, the simple sum of the non-consolidated group figures excluding the direct insurance companies of each group
Domestic Life Insurance Business
No. 9 in premiums income among domestic life insurance companies/groups
No. 9 among 28 companies and groups
Source: Prepared by MS&AD based on the publicly announced information from each insurance company
* Figures for "Group" are calculated based on the non-consolidated sums of each group company
No. 1 Net income among life insurance companies under non-life insurance groups
Source：Prepared by MS&AD based on publicly announced information from each insurance company
No. 1 in gross written premiums ( non-life) in the ASEAN region
No. 1 in gross written premiums in the ASEAN region
With global business expansion to 48 countries and regions*1, especially in Asia, and as the world’s only global non-life insurance group with a presence in all 10 ASEAN countries, the Group maintains the No. 1 presence for gross written premiums in the ASEAN region.
* 1 Excludes SLI Cayman Limited (financial services business) in the Cayman Islands (as of April 1, 2019)
Source: Prepared by MS&AD based on the publicly announced corporate information from each country and region (reinsurance companies excluded)
*1 Simple sum ranking for FY2017 results with First Capital
*2 Ranking for foreign-based insurance companies
*3 Because data for FY2017 was not publicly available, the FY2016 ranking for Laos is shown
*4 Ceylinco Insurance PLC included in the Company's scope of consolidation as an equity-method affiliate in August 2018.
No. 2 among 57 companies in Lloyd's Insurance Market
As the Group's U.K.-based insurance holding company, MS Amlin is a principal player as a managing agent*2 with Lloyd's of London*3, the world's most-influential insurance market, where it is ranked second with respect to gross written premiums
Source: Lloyd’s Annual Report 2018
Based on gross written premiums for FY2018