The MS&AD Insurance Group has set Mission, Vision, and Values in order to clarify how the Group should be. Furthermore, we have accelerated initiatives based on our sustainability approach to achieve our mission.
To contribute to the development of a vibrant society and help secure a sound future for the planet, by enabling safety and peace of mind through the global insurance and financial services business
To create a world-leading insurance and financial services group that consistently pursues sustainable growth and enhances corporate value
Customer focus, integrity, teamwork, innovation, professionalism
Perspective of Sustainability of the MS&AD Insurance Group
The MS&AD Insurance Group will create shared value and aim toward a resilient and sustainable society through corporate activities that implement "Story of Value Creation," in order to realize our Corporate Philosophy (Mission).
We will consistently strive for supreme quality that lives up to the trust and expectations upon us, and together with our stakeholders, continue to contribute to the creation of society where everyone can pursue a stable life and take on dynamic business activities, while preserving the sustainability of the global environment and society.
(Basic Policies on Corporate Governance, Chapter 2 Section 2)
The MS&AD Insurance Group, as insurance and financial services group which provides safety and peace of mind conduct business activities with consideration for sustainability.
We aim to enhance corporate value by contributing to solutions for sustainability issues (also known as environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues) with profound understanding through stakeholder engagement.
- Our underwriting considers issues and risks that would have a negative impact on society and the global environment. In addition, we provide products and services that respond to the demand of society.
- Our investments consider ESG factors in pursuit of long-term returns and contribution to solutions for sustainability issues.
“Responding to Climate Change ”, “Improving Sustainability of Natural Capital“ and “Respecting Human Rights ” that require urgent actions are the Group's priorities.
We will disclose our initiatives, in line with global disclosure standards.
【Responding to Climate Change】
- We contribute to climate change mitigation and adaptation as climate change may bring material impacts on our lives and ecosystems and pose substantial risks to the insurance industry.
- With new risk solutions using DX (digital transformation), we support our customers to establish and roll out innovative technologies for a decarbonized society, including things like next-generation energy, such as renewables and hydrogen, and CCUS*1 carbon recycling.
- We will not provide insurance for, nor make investments in new coal-fired power plants.
- We will not newly provide insurance for, nor make investments in the existing coal-fired power plants or steam coal mines. However, we may carefully consider and handle the cases that incorporate decarbonizing technologies and techniques toward achieving the Paris Agreement targets.
- We have established medium- and long-term targets for the green house gas emissions reduction from our business processes and the renewable energy usage ratio, and are working to reduce green house gas emissions.
< Greenhouse gas Emission Reduction >
<Renewable Energy Use>
【Improving Sustainability of Natural Capital】
- Natural capital is the foundation that supports our society and economy. As its conservation and sustainable use is essential to the economic development and prosperity of society, we take initiatives to conserve biodiversity and improve sustainability of natural capital.
- We will carefully determine whether or not to provide insurance or make investments in the following businesses that may have negative impacts on the environment and local communities, while taking into account the businesses’ consideration for the environment and society.
－Oil sand mining
－Oil and gas extraction in the Arctic region
－Projects with negative impact on UNESCO World Heritage Sites or
【 Respecting Human Rights】
- As respecting human rights is the foundation of a safe society where one can enjoy peaceful lives, we conduct our business activities with respect for human rights.
- We will not provide insurance for, nor make investments in cluster munitions that may kill large numbers of people at once and biological and chemical weapons, and anti-personnel mines that may cause indiscriminate mass killing.
- We will carefully determine whether or not to provide insurance or make investments in the businesses which may violate human rights of indigenous people or local communities, while taking into account the businesses’ consideration for the environment and society.
The Board of Directors and the Sustainability Committee hold discussions on the policies, plans, and the progress initiatives for the aforementioned Business Activities with Consideration for Sustainability. We keep the highly transparent disclosure and engage in dialogue with stakeholders. Revision and /or modification may be applied when necessary.
MS&AD Insurance Group participates in the following initiatives.
- Paris Pledge for Action
- United Nations Global Compact (UNGC)
- United Nations Environment Programme – Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) 〔Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI),Natural Capital Finance Alliance (NCFA)〕
- Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI)
- Final Report of Recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures(TCFD)
- Taskforce on Nature-related Financial Disclosures (TNFD)
- Net-zero Insurance Alliance (NZIA)
- Partnership for Carbon Accounting Financials (PCAF)
- Japan Climate Initiative (JCI)
- Principles for Finance Action towards a Sustainable Society (Principles for Financial Action for the 21st Century)
- Japan Business Initiative for Biodiversity (JBIB)
*1：Carbon dioxide Capture, Utilization and Storage
*2：Scope 1 is for direct emissions from our group, such as gasoline from
*3：Scope 2 is for indirect emissions from the use of electricity and gas.
*4：Indirect emissions by our group's operations other than those in Scope 2.