The MS&AD Insurance Group has set Mission, Vision, and Values in order to clarify how the Group should be. Furthermore, we have accelerated initiatives based on our sustainability approach to achieve our mission.
To contribute to the development of a vibrant society and help secure a sound future for the planet, by enabling safety and peace of mind through the global insurance and financial services business
To create a world-leading insurance and financial services group that consistently pursues sustainable growth and enhances corporate value
Customer focus, integrity, teamwork, innovation, professionalism
Perspective of Sustainability of the MS&AD Insurance Group
The MS&AD Insurance Group will create shared value and aim toward a resilient and sustainable society through corporate activities that implement "Story of Value Creation," in order to realize our Corporate Philosophy (Mission).
We will consistently strive for supreme quality that lives up to the trust and expectations upon us, and together with our stakeholders, continue to contribute to the creation of society where everyone can pursue a stable life and take on dynamic business activities, while preserving the sustainability of the global environment and society.
(Basic Policies on Corporate Governance, Chapter 2 Section 2)
Business Activities with Consideration for Sustainability
The MS&AD Insurance Group, as insurance and financial services group which provides safety and peace of mind conduct business activities with consideration for sustainability.
We aim to enhance corporate value by contributing to solutions for sustainability issues (also known as environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues) with profound understanding through stakeholder engagement.
- Our underwriting considers issues and risks that would have a negative impact on society and the global environment. In addition, we provide products and services that respond to the demand of society.
- Our investments consider ESG factors in pursuit of long-term returns and contribution to solutions for sustainability issues.
“Responding to Climate Change ”, “Improving Sustainability of Natural Capital“ and “Respecting Human Rights ” that require urgent actions are the Group's priorities.
【Responding to Climate Change】
- We contribute to climate change mitigation and adaptation as climate change may bring material impacts on our lives and ecosystems and pose substantial risks to the insurance industry.
- We contribute to realization of a decarbonized society through our business that supports initiatives for reduction of CO2 emissions and climate change mitigation such as enhancement of the stable and sufficient supply and usage of renewable energy, development and usage of advanced technology that lead to reduction of CO2 emissions, and research and development toward practical applications of CO2 capture, utilization, storage (CCUS) technologies.
- In principle, we will not provide insurance for, nor make investments in new coal-fired power plants. However, we may do so after prudent consideration, for cases where such plants are essential for to the stable supply of energy to the country concerned.
- With long-term goals in place, we will reduce CO2 emissions from our operations.
< Group's CO2 Emissions Reduction Long-Term Target>
70% reduction in 2050 from the base year 2009
- We will continue to disclose our climate change-related initiatives, in line with the TCFD framework.
【Improving Sustainability of Natural Capital】
- Natural capital is the foundation that supports our society and economy. As its conservation and sustainable use is essential to the economic development and prosperity of society, we take initiatives to conserve biodiversity and improve sustainability of natural capital.
【 Respecting Human Rights】
- As respecting human rights is the foundation of a safe society where one can enjoy peaceful lives, we conduct our business activities with respect for human rights.
- We will not provide insurance for, nor make investments in manufacturers of cluster muinitions that may cause indiscriminate mass killing.
The Board of Directors and the Sustainability Committee hold discussions on the policies, plans, and the progress initiatives for the aforementioned Business Activities with Consideration for Sustainability. We keep the highly transparent disclosure and engage in dialogue with stakeholders. Revision and /or modification may be applied when necessary.
MS&AD Insurance Group participates in the following initiatives.
- Paris Pledge for Action
- United Nations Global Compact (UNGC)
- United Nations Environment Programme – Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) 〔Principles for Sustainable Insurance (PSI),Natural Capital Finance Alliance (NCFA)〕
- Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI)
- Final Report of Recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures(TCFD)
- Japan Climate Initiative (JCI)
- Principles for Finance Action towards a Sustainable Society (Principles for Financial Action for the 21st Century)
- Japan Business Initiative for Biodiversity (JBIB)